Tuesday 9 February 2021

Art Portfolio

I recently discovered drawing and art. Two weeks ago, I realized I should put my art out to the world. At least leave a mark or something; not just on paper.  


1. Cashier in the grocery

I made a quick sketch of the cashier the first time COVID-19 invaded us last March.


2. Musing with the Queen's Gambit (hoping for Netflix extending the series)

I wonder if Netflix will accept or decline the Queen's Gambit? I mean the option to extend the TV series must have been tempting. Walter Tevis left us hanging with that book of his. Anyway, Netflix did a good job in fictionalizing fiction if you've read Walter's book. 

I wonder how the expanded universe of that story would look like? How about this: Beth will face a new challenger—a Filipina sporting apple cut hairdo. Then sometime during the series, Beth tries competitive equestrian and bought herself a black stallion. She gets invited to the Philippines by FM to practice in San Lazaro (she practiced with Secretariat during the earlier episodes). Then during the finals, Beth accepts the Queen's Gambit of the Filipina challenger after the former learned that the latter's father was detained by FM during martial law. Ain't that a swell season finale? 

We don't know for sure. But that's the beauty of fiction. We can always imagine something better. 


3. The Old Man and the Sharks 

It’s not inspired by E. Hemingway. Actually, that’s Basilio (Yes! From Rizal’s Noli). I imagined him escaping from American soldiers years later after the failed revolution by Simoun. Again, I feel there should have been a better closure on Basilio—bitin! Initially, I wanted Elias to live (speculative stuff—like some Diwata resurrecting him or something. Ah, for the love of fiction).


4. Voltes V

I grew up in the 80s, so I doodle Voltes V every once in a while. I remember as a kid making a large scale drawing of this robot back in Sampaloc, Manila. At six, it was a tremendous feat. I even had to use our apartment’s ‘kurtina’ as a safety harness. It was a masterpiece so grand I was so sure my mother would love it (she was taking her siesta that time). Believe it or not, that afternoon ended with tears. Not tears of joy, but tears caused by the spanking I took on my buttocks as the canvass I used was the lush and creamy wall of our apartment in Prudencio Street. I should have used the back of the chiffonier instead, but decided not to since no one looks at the back of a chiffonier.




5. Office Doodles

At work, I am always armed with a pencil and scratch paper (used paper as we support sustainability) to take notes while I'm on the phone. Sometimes the person on the other end can be very difficult to understand. Most of the times, some are unavailable or you have to wait for a few seconds. You won't believe the doodles and sketches a person can do during those few seconds. 


6. "Leonardo, pakiabot nga yun patis!"

I am a fan of hand sketches. Leonardo da Vinci is such an inspiration. I was sketching at the mess hall when somebody asked for the fish sauce. The hand grabbing a bottle condiment is like grabbing a chess piece. Presto! There goes the hand drawing.





7. Comic Strips

I am a big graphic novel and comic strips fan. In 2019, I did some sketch after reading JD Salinger and Jack Kerouac. I know it's very late at this stage (43 Y.O.), but I have recently discovered a lot of wonderful classics in Google books and Kindle. With a dash of fiction, I imagined what would have been with the characters created by those legendary authors. I also do a bit of comics out of my family activities.






My Materials

Well, I use the old materials of my daughter. She likes to collect a lot of ballpoints at home. She gave me some Muji ballpoint pens last 2019 (that was the last time I had my vacation back in the Philippines). I also like Faber Castell's water colors and pastel. For paper, I have a Muji sketch pad. Most of the other doodles are the backside of used paper at the office. I find monochromatic watercolor paintings nice.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Commuting Thoughts (Free Writing on a bus) 2021.10.11

 “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”—Jack Londo...